Sunday, March 1, 2009

Mission Accomplished


On Friday night, my father and I went out for dinner before he went outstation the following day. We dropped in at an old haunt of ours, Omitsu Koshi in DJ. He passed me an unused stand mixer that he found in his store room. So now I can progress to baking cakes! =] The mixer was rather covered in stains but it was simple and solid, sufficient for fulfilling my purpose.

And Saturday; well, Saturday was a whole day out, from morning to night. Got up early at 7.30-ish to make breakfast for my mother and do the hundred little chores which bug all domestic help. Then I started working on the boysenberry jelly I'd bought back from NZ. I was startled that it made such a tiny serving; 5 people could've finished it at one go! =S

I hurried to get out of the house by 10, picked Kok Loong up. Drove to Taman Bahagia and parked in the residential area before taking the short walk to the LRT station. By and by we got off in front of Berjaya Times Square and leisurely entered Low Yat Plaza. A few floors up, the hunt began for my new phone. I had the basic requirements firmly imprinted in my head :

~ Flip or slide
~ Slim (not bulky!)
~ Nice-to-type keypad
~ Not freaking squarish

(If you notice, all the characteristics listed are the exact opposite of those of my K770i. Which was chosen by my father in the first place, lol. And now it's going back to him 'cause he likes it and I'm glad to be rid of that remote control lookalike.)

~ Budget : RM1000 or below

Yes, I'd brought a thousand bucks in cash with me; and it preyed on my mind most of the time. We began at a random counter near the back and worked our way round, looking at various brands and talking to the men behind the glass cases, some of which were very nice and helpful. Before long, I realised that I kept being drawn to the same two models. Both were Sony Ericsson Walkman phones. One had a killer sophisticated cover (a flip, W980) and the other looked decent (a slide, W910). The former also had a price that nearly killed my interest. But I pressed on, looking for better offers.

And then I found a third contender. But I was sure it was the same as Michelle Too's new phone (a Samsung touchpad), and I didn't want that. But it looked kinda sleek, my type. It was also the cheapest of the phones I'd liked so far. Omg, *headache*. By then I'd gotten all the quotations muddled up with their counters, and Kok Loong assured me he had it all under control. We stepped into Sungei Wang for a change of surroundings, and continued 'surveying' at a few phone counters over there.

Ah, this is where the rotten keypad comes in. My K770i had been missing an important button since the first week it came into my possesion, probably thanks to Yann. So I resorted to using my thumbnail to press it, for a year. Then, in December, Sean kindly offered to buy me a new keypad when he was in Low Yat. It cost RM30. Little did I know, it couldn't be replaced in just any shop. It was a little annoying, that. So now I was in Low Yat myself, I found it cost almost as much to get my keypad changed. First quotation I got was RM25. Kok Loong got it down to RM20. But I refused. Next store, RM30. Friggin' conwoman! Then In Sungei Wang, I got it done nicely for only RM10, much to my satisfaction.

Here, again, was a man with pleasant manners. He showed me the updated version of the decent-looking slide. I'd actually seen that later version too (W595), in Low Yat. How could I forget? I practically fell in love with it upon taking in the shade of its green detailing. It was so... beautiful. And the base colour, slate grey? A subtle complement to the pretty green. Gorgeous, but would I regret if I bought it instead of the Samsung?

Gahhh, I told the man. *No I didn't, but I did leave the counter for lunch. A grumbling stomach and big-decision-making do not go together.* Ate at KFC; I almost choked on laughter as we observed the old man beside us. I sound like I have something against old people, LOL but it's not really that way. It's just... he sat with his left hand wrapped around his bare right foot. And the next time we looked, that same hand was wrapped around his chicken and lifting it to his mouth. Shortly after, he spat something out onto the floor. All this we observed, trying to remain inconspicuous while shaking with laughter. I rest my case.

After that, I was still not ready to make my decision, so we went for some retail therapy! Out of the dozens of LALA boutiques we entered, I bought nothing. Guess I'm certified non-lala. XD

4.30 p.m. drew close, and we hastened to the last counter we'd been to. I had to do something I wouldn't regret for the next 4 years. I bought the Sony Ericsson W595, in slate grey. Got the price down from RM1250 (or something above my budget) to an affordable RM920. Original, not AP! Thanks to my indecisiveness that day, we hadn't time to haggle further, but it was good enough for me. Through all of it, he was truly patient and helpful. How many other guys would tag along, shopping like they actually enjoyed it? Especially when it came to the actually techy-talk parts. I'm really not into all those; wouldn't know what to say, hahaha.

Dropped him off, it was raining. Hurry, hurry. A quick shower. A quick jab at my chilled jelly. I flipped the mold upside down and it came down in mutilated bits onto the plate. I was pretty disappointed 'cause no way I could bring that wobble-rubble to my youth bbq! Lol. Sped off to pick Jessica up from OU and made it in good time to church. It was quite an enjoyable night of music, fellowship and foood.


I think I'll be just happy with this phone.
Will you be happy with me?
=)

No comments:

Post a Comment