Friday, March 27, 2009

Girl With The Red Sash



You know the way Kumon's icon is perpetually doleful? The expression on the round face is constantly pointed out as one reason why one shouldn't be enrolled in the first place.
However, I make it a point to smile all through work hours; a stunning feat for me.
When I was little, I used to sneer at people who smiled a lot; I thought it abnormal. But things are different now. Used to think I didn't have any reason to smile; now I
find the reasons to. Just at work, for now. I still think smiling can be so tiring.


Yesterday I arrived 10 minutes too early. So I called my father to let him know I was about to start work reeeaally soon! Heard the tender pride in his voice as he suddenly said,

"Papa's little girl, working already!"

^ ^



Examples of positive thinking at work...


*The Inbox is piling up dangerously speedily, and my neck is stiffer than my shoulders are. And my right arm hurts.*
Just remember that my back hasn't started hurting. Yet.


*Shoot, that boy keeps handing in worksheets like there's no tomorrow! Chill la dei, I can't mark fast enough!*
Be glad he's so hardworking. It would probably have been more gladden-ing if he were actually SMART into the bargain. Instead, we have to plough through the same mistakes again and again.


*Arghh, this is the sixth time I'm marking this fellow wrong!! So annoying.*
There's nothing positive about that, therefore we should just bite our tongue and keep on smiling.



Hehe, no horrific first-day-of-work story for me. Work was fun and enjoyable; I can foresee myself being comfortable here as a part-timer! My employer is lenient and concerned. Lunch break is long enough for me to have it with my mom as usual. Workplace is barely 15 minutes from
doorstep-to-parking-by-the-roadside-to-walking-over-and-taking-the-lift-up.

Actually, the only part that flustered us was when the stack in the Inbox tray refused to diminish. And we never knew little kids could be so intimidating; until they clustered in front of our desk, staring and fidgeting but otherwise just waiting. And waiting. We felt so powerless to change that; already working as fast as we knew how!
Turns out, Thursdays are the most hectic. Great choice for a first day, huh. XD

My favourite part is marking the basic Maths. No need to refer to answer books!

5 + 3 =

4 + 8 =


I like to steal these worksheets from Jaf. Hehehe.

As a bonus, my colleagues are really nice people. And I get to sit next to Jaf everyday and listen to him pining away for Alyssa, who is
"just like vanilla; plain but sweet as hell."
Oh Jaf. SHUT UP ALREADY! Ahahaha.
Sry, I meant, keep it coming. =>
And soon you'll see a two-scoop vanilla heading for your face. >D



Jaf, you the man.
Ahaha, World's Most Adorable Geek! =P


Another plus point for my chosen job : I get to wear anything. Aaanything I want. But it's so cold, I just want more layers. Lol.


______________________________________________________



Late nights, early mornings. Another round of that, tomorrow. I'll be feeling nostalgic at half past six in the morning, getting ready for school. This time in kitten heels; not canvas shoes. My last time accepting a cert for school honours. After years of wearing a uniform for such occasions, it's rather delightful to wear something else.

And my father will be going. Usually no one goes, 'cause it's no big deal, where I come from.
It reminds me that he loves me still, when I think of him attending church on Christmas
just because I asked him to - though he always hated it.
Then he got wary and always arranged golf games on Christmas Day so that he wouldn't have to tell his little daughter that he didn't
want to go at all.


That was a decade ago; when I was just the girl with the red sash.


No comments:

Post a Comment