Monday, June 1, 2009

I Need Two Hands To Shop



My weekly red-letter day was spent at the Gardens, shopping while my mom had a facial. I gaily walked into Promod - good quality for reasonable prices. Slipped past the two store assistants who were chatting rather boisterously with a middle-aged customer; but that's the way I like it. To be left alone; not maddeningly tailed by some paranoid-but-acting-helpful shopgirl. It's majorly irritating, and doesn't help with "providing a great shopping experience" in the least!

After 10 minutes of browsing, one of the assistants sneaked up on me and words started gushing out of her mouth - much the same way as when she yakked with the aforesaid customer.
I listened, stunned, to her tirade of Chinese gibberish and near the end, made out the word 'interview'.

Ohh.

That one word saved what would otherwise have been wasted breath for her. Without missing a beat, I replied: "I already have a job."
Take that! Bet you thought I was some pampered, unproductive student with nothing better to do for her semester break, didn't you?

=P



On another matter...
I've been reading Anne Frank's diary. Actually, I've been reading more than one book and though the idea doesn't appeal to me, I've had to because two books are from Kumon and I have to return them by Thursday the 4th because thats my last day there! And on the very next, I'll be off to church camp in Malacca. No time to mourn the loss of my little students!
Perhaps I'll miss them. I will remember some of them, I know. How to tell them I'm leaving? How not to tell? =(
Anyway, the point is, I've been reading Anne Frank's diary. (See how my train of thought trails all over the place?)
And... I'm near the end of the book. I don't really want to finish reading it, because...

because it's hard to believe that this girl, with so many ardent admirers at her feet, so many beautiful hopes and dreams and plans; she died. Three years younger than I am now.
That someone so bright had so deserved to live but instead passed on to the next realm, it saddens me.

She wanted to be a writer, because when she poured her soul into her diary, her restraints, oppression and frustration at being cooped up in a secret place for two years, melted away. And today her thoughts and musings have been and are being read by millions all over the globe. What a way for her wish to materialise. Which brings me to... Is it worth it, to die for a dream?

Not that she killed herself to get published, but the very sufferings which brought her life to a close were the backbone of her writings, and the fodder on which she became mature.
All this only after a single read. I shall have a second, and third, from which to glean more insight as to this interesting personality - in future when I'm at leisure.



Wednesday night :
Sean needed help in picking a shirt for prom. Weellllllll, he asked the right person! ^ ^
We went straightaway to OU. Spotted one in a rich, warm shade of red. After which he couldn't stop thinking about it. Ahaha. Plus, I got a free pretzel after 'scolding' the cashier at Auntie Anne's! Something like that. =P

Thursday morning :
Continued where we left off, this time at Midvalley. Found a dark grey one, so close to black. But he liked it, that's what matters. Then in Sub, I pulled shirt after shirt off the racks for him to try. This is one of my dream jobs. It'd be lovely getting paid... to spend other people's money. => There was a heartthrob of a shirt we both liked, only, it was more of smart casual and less of prom king. He might still get it, after all.

Friday night :
Fell prey to a sudden fever. Woke up every few hours in the night, aching and feeling sticky all over. It felt so horrible.

Sunday, after church :
I shot off to pick Yann up and then to the Mines!
Power Beat In The House, yo!
Another dance finals I've had on my schedule for months. The thing is...
after obeying the impulse of gaining access into the Mines residential area and ogling at numerous grandly done-up bungalows (including one with a weird wavy UFO roof, and Mahathir's own residence),
debating whether to get free parking at the Mines Clubhouse (which we did),
and having a casual, very filling lunch... we arrived in time for the results.

T.T

What a let down! Maybe we shouldn't have eaten so much. Maybe I shouldn't have cared whether that house was cooler than the other or not. Maybe I should have skipped the debate and parked in the hot hot sun for RM2. Then maybe I would've had time to squeeze through the tall tall crowd to watch the final contestants properly. I felt quite deflated, after all the fuss and anticipation generated (by me). Frankly, if it weren't for the ReadMalaysia book fair, it would've been hard to cheer up.

So much for the 'largest book fair of the year'. The organisers of the BU3 fair didn't know what they were talking about, because the Mines do was definitely more heavyweight. The centre English section was dwarfed by the Chinese one on the left, and Malay on the right. At least it'll encourage reading among those ones. *Ok, didn't intend to sound like the Prime Minister or anything...* =>

And this week'll be even busier. It's college hols all around; my darling 'nett and Sean are on break! I'm squeezing them into schedule wherever I can. Steamboat, Picadilly, Asia Cafe on the menu? Then for a free screening of Zac Efron's 17 Again? Oh, swell. Anything, because I don't have to spend a cent for a great time with ya'll.


No comments:

Post a Comment