Saturday, June 20, 2009

Humming



Fighting wasn't flat, at least. I even want to watch it a second time!
The best thing? Channing Tatum was in just about every scene. Ahahaha. Just kidding. I think the actor who played his agent was pretty convincing as a man walking the line between self-dignity and the contempt of others. I read his humiliation behind the rigid smoothness of his face.
Now I can sit back 'til Tatum's next flick comes out. =)





And last night I watched Dance, Subaru! GSC rottenly let the film run one fifth away from the top of the screen. Which meant I couldn't see the ballerinas' feet in motion, but that's not all... they started speaking Japanese. - -'

Subtitles, dei?!

The audience (it wasn't just me, really!) fumed in silence and went through the first 10? 15? minutes of the show without comprehension. Good thing they rectified it soon enough and now I can proceed to the review:

This dance movie is different. And not just because it was filmed in Japanese.
What we've gotten so far is street fare;
always bringing street to the stage or vice versa (Step Up, You Got Served, Stomp The Yard).
Otherwise it's nightclub action (Honey, Flashdance, Make It Happen)
or ballroom elegance (Shall We Dance?).

Dance, Subaru! focuses on the world of ballet (as did Save The Last Dance and Centre Stage: Turn It Up) but the main character is pushed from a nightclub onto the more sophisticated stage of an international championship. Burning with fever on the night of the finals, she stands to one side of the stage for her last performance; the contemporary genre.


She lifts one foot back and totters, back back back.
I nearly believe she's fainting.
She stops.
And so begins her haunting improvisation, a beautiful show of strength and grace. She spins a full circle and glides, presses herself against air. This is the first time contemporary has specifically been given recognition.


As for the beginning, the main child actress was convincing as a twin battling love and jealousy and neglect. She moved me to tears; a child's voice determinedly melodious but cracked with emotion. Humming at her twin brother's funeral.



10 comments:

  1. Nic, I wanna watched that show too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha. Yes, u shud! I think u'd reli like it. => Buy DVD?

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha.....see first.now have to save money for the sake of my family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm gorgeous. Does that mean u're not looking for a camera anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I WANT THAT SOOOOOO MUCH OK!But now I need to save money for my family because I will be the petanggungjawab in my family ince my dad is not working anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whuek.....Now I cannot get it soon.*cry* I have to wait longer more so that once I have a lot of money then only I can buy camera. But I feel getting now too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. o.O

    Ok. U knw something... last time when u said u were looking for a camera, I thought things were still quite alright though I nearly expected them to be as they are now (meaning u're the breadwinner of the household). But now it has happened. I'm sorry to hear tht, dear. And I'll help by not making u want to shop when we go out, ok? When we go OU in July we'll just watch the dance auditions, no need to shop. =) How bout that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nic, I don't think I can go out anymore until I finish my driving exam.My dad wants me to have more rest during the weekends.So very very sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oo ok, not a problem. Are u still coming for my Youth Rally?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think i can also.My dad ask me to cancel every activities that i have.my dad is very strict at me also.i couldn't beg him many times too.sorry!

    ReplyDelete