Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Special Someone, Do You Have One?


Valentine's Day, this year, was the most heartily celebrated one so far. Lynette secured tickets for Juliana and I to her church (SIB) V-day youth event, and it shockingly slipped my mind that the dress code was Smart Casual. I turned up Way Casual. Ahah, no matter. At least the service was solid. That day's message was relevant, and the pastor, more like a stand-up comedian than a preacher. The most impactful part was when the two emcees (who were really a married couple) shared their experience in courtship.

They're 5 years apart, and met as students in the UK when she was only 20. This was followed by a 7-year long-distance relationship before marriage, when she returned to Malaysia. All throughout, they put God at the centre of the universe. It is truly a story so sweet and genuine, it deserves to be made into a movie instead of all those sappy, corny stuff they serve up in cinemas.

I thought I'd be ecstatic at the 3 Of Us being together again, but it didn't happen. And I'm not quite sure how to explain it. So I won't.

Dropped Ju off at OU and crawled back home in a jam to quickly bathe and change for dinner with Kok Loong, a long-time guy friend. It turned out to be one of the very nicest outings; starting off with the brief introduction to my mother, with the neighbour looking on very curiously. Ahahah then we got into the car (happily, this was once when I could go out without driving!) and drove off into the sunset.

Okay, that's not the end. Hahaha, we're both known (to the public) to be really quiet people but we ended up chatting incessantly until the car was safely parked. Then we joined the mega-long queue for movie tickets and succeeded in procuring second row seats for both Slumdog Millionaire and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

And then the hunt for dinner began. We landed in front of Paddington House of Pancakes, and tried in vain to attract the waiter's attention. Passed a few moments scanning the menu, and a few more standing aside so others could scan the menu to pass a few moments too. Lol. He really is The Most Patient Guy I've Ever Met. My mind, however, began to faintly buzz with impatience and I debated how long more 'til I'd suggest leaving for another place. Right then, a waiter finally held up his hand for two and we gladly walked in. We have a lot of things in common; the nicest being that we both are slow eaters. So it was probably the most stress-free meal for me, in terms of time. We stretched dinner so that we made it just nice for our 9.30 show. Lol, that long.

Actually, we missed a bit of the beginning, but Slumdog Millionaire was an interesting watch and a truckload of laughs. And Benjamin Button was satisfactory, as well. Brad Pitt was the total meltdown. Altogether, a solid movie night.

At 2.45 a.m., we sped home 'cause all of a sudden (after all these years), I had a curfew - back by midnight, like Cinderella. And that curfew, I only knew about it midway through the first movie. So there goes my late night partying, in the future. Ahah.

I must say, Kok Loong was in every sense the gentleman; happily in possession of that gallantry so sorely missing in the average modern-time male. He held doors open, never raised his voice, and most importantly (to me); knew to let the lady walk first. In a crowd, in a line; wherever that requires single file or weaving through, the majority of guys simply fail to give consideration to their female counterparts. And that, is never going to impress one like me.

Got home by 3.20 a.m.. I believe, there are bonds that refuse to be broken.





An original quote from yours truly :

A girl always wants to know where she stands.
And after she finds out, she doesn't want to stand there anymore.




No comments:

Post a Comment