Saturday, April 25, 2009

Peachy Keen


This weekend has come like an unexpected train station; I've been enjoying the ride. There are no bad days at work. In fact, there have been times where I've left for Kumon in low spirits, and returned home decidedly tranquil, and even a little uplifted. By tomorrow, I would've worked at Kumon for one whole month. The experience has been gratifying so far; I do believe I couldn't have stumbled upon a more perfect first (student) job.
No standing wearily all day, giving murderous looks to shoppers who casually unfold garments and toss them aside (typical store assistant); no strenuously staring at a computer screen for hours on end (typical data entry dude); and certainly no putting on a courteous mask while serving strangers who leave a mess for you to clean up after (common waiter).

The last job is the one I'd never consider, simply based on the fact that I dislike wiping tables - and I get to do that a lot at home already. Hehe. What I love about my job is how it brings me closer to my students. Those who recite their multiplication tables with speed and precision, I admire and think of what it took me to do the same, many years ago (that would be standing on my home staircase, reciting while my mother listened with cane in hand - she is, after all, an Add Maths tutor). Those who struggle with the same table again and again, I find fulfilling in guiding; 'cause I know I'm making a difference.
On one recent occasion, a student candidly asked me,

"Do you like to look at the dogs, or d'you just sit and do your work at your table?"

I blinked. Then I remembered the row of houses which could be seen through the glass behind my desk, and the barking I'd heard occasionally. I gamely obliged by turning to squint at the dogs she meant, "one black and one orange". The orange dog was actually a light brown; and I thought it was rather a pity that there weren't any orange dogs, only orange cats. Ever thought about that?


Wednesdays being off days, are rather red letter for me. This week, I took the liberty of dropping my mother off at the hair salon and coming home to find myself effectively locked out. I had no phone, no keys; nothing. Except my car (and obviously, carkeys to start the car with). With relief, I went straight to Najjua's place with the intention of calling my mother from there. But the car was out, and I assumed she'd been behind the wheel. So I drove instead to Yann's, knowing full well she was probably still asleep. Still, I cordially greeted her new maid (who had only seen me once before) and she let me in. Ahaha. To Yann's great incredulity, I'd just slipped into her house without so much as a hassle. Her dog didn't even raise a bark. =) People, you are therefore more than welcome to invade Yann's house. NyekNyek. Well I couldn't reach my mother with her phone, so I just upped and went to the hair salon myself. What fun, to disrupt The Sleeping Yann's peace of mind so early in the day. XD

A few hours later saw us shopping in Midvalley. The first thing I bought was a(nother) pair of flip flops; but these aren't just ANY pair of beach slippers, they had suede (my favourite material) thongs and sparkling rhinestones along at dainty intervals. My first pair of Banana Peels. Before walking away, I couldn't help but inquire as to the attractive shoe bag. It could be mine for RM4, the salesgirl said. I stared. And made up my mind. Comon, firstly it was a convincing shade of brown - nothing like those watered down versions you find on some other products. And secondly, I couldn't take my eyes off the lettering upon it. My mind is distinctly programmed to lust after all manner of swirls and fluorishes. A brief transaction later, I had it dangling merrily from my wrist. What a lovely start, I thought.

I'd stepped on it, hoping to reach Midvalley in time to catch He's Just Not That Into You. But the cinema queue was too long, anyway. So we settled for Crossing Over. This movie bordered on raw at times; the way it brought to life the fragility of fate; of whether one fell into a good lot or otherwise. It is a wake up call as to how circumstances may be beyond our control; because no person can dictate where he or she is to be born, or exactly when, or how others may use those circumstances against us. It tells us, all we have is our determination to make it through; that, or letting the defeatist in us take over.
A rather wordy review? Well, that's just how I view the show. =)


It ended, and we walked stiffly out and into more shops where I picked up where I left off. I got stalled by the new Nike Free 5.0 in cool blue and deep grey combination. Quite very gorgeous. @.@
A lovely day indeed.


Friday was Aida's last day of work. She's now to focus on learning Japanese to the point of being good enough to obtain a degree in Psychology with. Which means to say, she got a JPA scholarship to study it in Japan! Congrats, babe. Jaf and I took her out for a farewell lunch, at Kozee Cafe where I discovered the deceptively unassuming Hokkien Fried Rice. It was like nasi goreng pattaya with generous helpings of Cantonese gravy.
Or, as Jaf would put it, like Cantonese kuey teow in rice form. Hahah.



And last night, an impromptu drink was arranged at Devi's Corner. Sean, Jaf and I; catching up on lost time. I gleefully ordered Sean to pick me up - his recently acquired driver's licence still being a novelty to me. Sean and I had two drinks each; I don't know how Jaf stretched his for so long. And now I wonder how Sean's bladder stretched too; 'cause I sure couldn't go on without a bathroom. So they sent me back home for a toilet break, without realising they were to pick me up again in a couple'a minutes. - -''
I called them back and we took a spin round Taman Tun before parting. Don't know why, but this phrase formed in my head to surmise the delightful hangout :


We Are Young, And Only Eighteen.


I guess it anticipates the many, many more times I've got to spend with mates, old and new, before we inevitably age to the degree where we can't just strut around, carefree and laughing. We'll have to observe decorum and not gawk at limousines and Porsche's parked in front of humble little pubs in our neighbourhood.

Jaf : It's my first time seeing a limo in real life.
Nic : Me too. Oh look, there's another one!
Sean : These people are bl**dy rich. Did you see the two Porsche's?




We can dream on, boys.


No comments:

Post a Comment