Saturday, April 10, 2010

As The River Flows



Tuesday, Carmen took me on a long-promised excursion to Decanter. I sat happily in the passenger seat looking about at the National Science Centre from sides I'd never seen before. Soon I found myself in Bukit Damansara and continued noting places of interest while Carmen drove around in circles trying to pinpoint Decanter's location.

At 3.01pm, we pulled up triumphantly at the shopfront.

And gaped at the ironically cheerful blackboard announcing they were closed for cleaning at 3pm that day.
Honestly!!
I was rather let down; the white wooden framework was exactly my cup of tea, and the menu seemed equally inviting. A waiter, clearly amused by our plight, told us we could go over to the other Decanter at Setiakasih - just a few roads away.

So we took heart and began the hunt once more.

Alas, it was obviously a pub and not the sort of place for a sunshiney lunch like we wanted. This time was no dismay, though, for nearby beckoned an understated establishment simply named The Bread Shop.



The name was enough to pull us in.



I found the exterior deceptively simple,
speaking nought of the stylish atmosphere within.



What a sight. The interior kept to the minimalist theme, but was tastefully done up in black, distressed metal and shades of wood lending their warmth.

It was a place with pastries screaming "take-me-home!"



No need for a fancy signboard outside, I now understood.
It had an obviously loyal clientele; I gathered by observing a steady stream of poised expatriates and trendy moms come to buy the bread after picking up their Sri Cempakan children.



And for good reason too;
our tea spread came close to RM50.

Now, don't let the prices take away your appetite,



the Mango Cheese Chicken Croissant was decidedly tasty!
Its cheese was melted into the bread, a move surreptitious enough to please anti-diary-product consumers like me!



Scones for the price of two lunches.
Would you like those with cream and jam?
Of course. Don't they always come together?

Apparently not here. A serving of clotted cream means an extra RM1, and for jam it's RM2.
The jam was slightly bitter compared to those in other teahouses, but together with the cream it was still good.



Hot cross buns. Real hot cross buns.
That's all I could think when I saw them behind the glass.

Before I'd swallowed my first mouthful, I realised I'd tasted this before...
A familiar aroma similar to that of a freshly painted house filled my nostrils and I forced myself to down the next several bites.
Next time, I'll just say it once.
Hot cross buns.



Cinnamon Swirl was named after two of my favourite things on earth though, so of course I ordered it.
And enjoyed it, nonwithstanding its tad excess in sweetness.

I only consider the Iced Chocolate a ripoff. There was nothing, nothing out of the ordinary to justify its above-average price tag. Just the usual cupful of milk with normal-grade chocolate syrup at the bottom.


All in all, a lovely outing.
I delight in driving wherever the road takes us, and stumbling upon exciting new eateries. Preferably the quintessential cafe.
Mmmm~



Return to the geeky retainers. X)
Two back molars growing at the same time, making it necessary to wear them full-time.

Varied response to them in college, ranging from:
"Since when...?"
and
"It's cool."
to
*Unrelenting shake of the head*

=) Well, at least now I can explain the sudden crookedness in my bottom row of teeth!


No comments:

Post a Comment