Tuesday, May 5, 2009

If They Had You In My Size, I'd Fall For You... All Over Again.


O.o

Labour Day has never meant much to me, until now. It's God-sent, being the only day on which I could spend time with Giovana, as both of us are now working and are therefore labourers! =]
It started out perfectly enough. I left the house early at 10.30 and found a decent parking spot in OU, though without the yellow lines around it, heheh. And then... and then...
I realised I'd forgotten my phone. As never before.

Honestly, of all days! Gahhhhh.

So I hastily went back to collect it; and like a warning not to drive too recklessly,
I passed two accidents on the way. Oh man. A green Myvi did a total 360 on the same road my high school is on. I glanced at the good-looking women standing around the wreck with the police. One of them was holding a DSLR. Lol. And no one was trapped in the car. *If I laugh here, I must have a very twisted sense of humour.*

Once back in OU's parking lot, I cruised around for a full half an hour.
What for?
Oh, just taking in the sights, honey.
Row after row of endless cars, all parked resolutely in every parkable space available, with or without lines. After a dozen "Whyyy did I forget my phone??"s, a fellow Vios backed out of a PROPER parking space. I quickly replaced it. =D
Met up with Gio and we watched Threads of Destiny.
I'd forgotten how dramatic and nonsensical Japanese productions can be. It was a rather long movie, and dealt with loads of issues, among them drugs, boyfriend abuse, unrequited love, and suicide. Talk about ammo for drama! However, it was still a decent watch and I don't feel anything was wasted on it.

We ate Takoyaki for lunch and shopped til we were broke. Honestly, we were planning to have Haagen Dazs for dessert... before we checked our wallets and were faced with the truth. Ahaha. She gave the thumbs up for my long-looked-for handbag, and we combed through the racks at Voir, eager to make use of my membership card. It's so much fun to try clothes on together! It makes the word 'broke' much easier to bear. *Sheepish grin*

Vinod and Surendran were also in the queue at the cinema, and Joshua's family spotted us having a good chat at the Rainforest. Truly, it was a great outing! I love her. And shopping. No, just Giovana. Oops, I meant shopping. Teehee. XD



On a different day, I caught Make It Happen. And wasn't much impressed, after all the bustling and rushing I'd done to see it. I'd baked at top speed that evening, and thrown together a quick dinner before bathing and stepping into Yann's car with the wicked question,

"Are you ready for some rASH driving?"

One of her favourite phrases. =P

Anyway, the opening seemed so promising! It showed some unorthodox form of ballet that arrested my attention. The actress isn't as pretty as other dance movie stars, but it's the choreographer I mainly find fault with. I was captivated by the first couple of 'burlesque' performances but as the film progressed, the star's moves ceased to impress. Never mind the common and predictable storyline - for what else could they cook up? - but the ending...
was plain disappointing. Of all songs, choosing Lady GaGa's 'Just Dance' might've seemed apt; if based only on the title. But its execution was way off-mark. Completely unconvincing, even.
A let-down, for a highly anticipated dance show.



Sunday night, it was dinner with my father as usual. He mentioned 'pasar malam' in passing, and all of a sudden I remembered my craving to visit it. I haven't been there since... since my ex and I cycled there for the Hari Raya Bazaar.
Well, I enjoyed the buzz of it; the meaningless chatter around me, and the colours rushing to meet my eye, both bold and shadowy. Weighing the worth of fruits with my father, sneaking away while he selected them to look at cheap clothes. Brain working speedily to measure aesthetic value against value for money versus actual quality. Shopping is a three-way process, I tell ya.
Aesthetic value is what catches your eye at the very beginning. It's your heart tugging at you and your eye doing a double-take. Price is what you reach for next, to check that you're not appraising something you can only dream of owning. And quality is where your hands do the work of turning the item over, checking seams and feeling the material to check for suitability as well as sustainability.
Of course, more discernment is needed in malls than in a simple night market.
A spot of training never hurt, though. Practice does make perfect. ^ ^



I took off from work today. Bluntly put, I intend to recover from my second bout of flu (in a row, malangnye) tomorrow! Sent my mother for a medical appointment and had a sobering moment there. And right now I'm glugging down water like a... garden hose in reverse.



One more school of thought...

Pretty glad I can park properly now. On parallel parking... I used to be so bad at it, I censored the very words in my thoughts. Then all of a sudden, on a fairly unremarkable day, I just did it, no fuss. And mere hours later, this was followed by a perfect reverse parking. My very first. It felt so good; like the parking gods had decided to stop tormenting my little mortal self. Honestly, there were times I got so frustrated at finding myself a 'woman driver, after all', I could've shook my fist and declared "Curse youu, Buzzz Liiiightyeeearrrrrr!".
Just like that.


No comments:

Post a Comment