Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Not Such a Smug Lobster After All



Will this sweet cherishing never go away, grow old and fade?


It matters not where I am - on the bus facing someone's backpack, in a tower overlooking the Harbour, crossing the street double-quick...


This refocuses me
On the fact that
I want someone who makes the effort to know me, ask how my day was, what are you thinking of?


How life makes a mockery of our intentions.


You give me words to read, mull over, dream upon.

 
"I never want to leave!"
Exactly what I felt and said, by the shore.
 

The words weighed down like a stone in my heart
Though they were meant to step light there
So I swapped the tears for a fresh new start
As I took off into the air
  'til you find me.



So the day came
When I washed my hair with that shampoo
And soaped my body with that shower gel
All relics of you

Ran for it
Now the train tracks lead to you.


Object of curiosity
Stepping confidently out the cab
Like I belonged here
To this polished suburb
Where houses gleamed in muted dignity, white picket fences rose pretty from green lawns
Up to the door
And in

Feeling blisters on my toes but oh, to walk with you once more
You knew the look before I even lifted my shades



Well
It was just
Walking with you agan, standing by you
You being the right radius behind me;
Not so much stone face going on today but there you were in entirety;
All I could do was look at you and smile, because it is all so familiar and unstrange
Though we were far away from where it all began.

 
A year is a long time. I knew it then, you let me know it again now. In a year perhaps, we shall meet again
To say our goodbyes in July


Now the stations are marking the miles between us
Growing, growing
'Til once again we are on opposite sides of the globe

 
...and it was tremendously difficult to get my head (and others') around that, but I tried my best.
Maybe it killed some parts of me, but it did grow others.


There are no words right now
Nothing magical
Just warmth and gladness and cherishing, perhaps with some reassurance on top.


"I'm proud to be friends with someone who honours his girlfriend as he should - whomever she may be. And also there was always the part about me wanting you to be happy."



So that was what you meant when you said you didn't think I was the sort who needed frequent close proximity. You'd seen my independence even that early on.

 
Tonight we are asleep in the same city, but come tomorrow you will be going, going, gone back to your side of the world - the opposite side.

There, I've said it. Our city.
What do you think?



And this time you did it Aussie
The way we like it
See you later.


No comments:

Post a Comment